Summer Pony Camp 2017
Here at GHS we are hosting out very own summer pony camp, running from Sunday 20th August – Wednesday 23rd August. Riders will arrive at approximately 3pm on Sunday 20th to set up camp and meet your friends. Pony camp is open to any of our riders, aged between 8 and 16. Riders must be able to walk and trot off the lead rein and will be grouped accordingly to ability. Camp will finish at approximately 4pm on Wednesday 23rd August.
A typical day at Pony Camp will start with the children bringing their ponies in from the field and giving their ponies their breakfast, before grooming them and getting them ready for a day of fun. Activities during the week include jumping, handy pony, gymkhana games, cross country and much more. Rosettes will be awarded throughout the week for various activities and members of the Pony Club can work towards their progressive tests and badges. The Wednesday will be the finale of camp, where a competition will take place and prize giving will follow in the afternoon – parents are welcome to come and watch.
Campers will stay in the granary room and will be supervised by staff members. Each child will need to bring the following for use during their stay.
- Sleeping bag, torch, pillow, single berth air bed or similar to sleep on
- All their usual riding equipment
- Show gear (if you have it)
- Waterproof clothing
- Bath towel, toiletries
- If your child wishes to bring their mobile phone – it will be kept safely in the office during the activities and returned to the children in the evening – they will be responsible for the own phone. We advise against bring ipods etc as we cannot be held responsible for damage.
- If children wish to bring pocket money for use of the vending machines and shop, please limit this to less than £15
The cost of the camp is £299. We require a £60 non refundable deposit on booking – with the full balance being paid before 31st July. If the balance is not paid in full by this date, the place will be offered to another child. Payments can be made in instalments – but if the balance is paid at the time of booking, camp will be offered at a reduced rate of £285.
Instalment options to be discussed with the office staff.
Please fill and complete the booking form that you will find attached. It must be returned to the office, along with your deposit. We urge bookings to be made as soon as possible as places are extremely limited. Click here to download a booking Form.
- Breakfast – choice of cereals, toast & preserve and fruit juice.
- Lunch – Rolls (Brown or White) with a choice of fillings (Egg, Cheese, Ham, Tuna Mayo) with crisps, drinks and fruit.
- Sunday PM – ‘BBQ’ food, followed by chocolate brownie & ice cream, or yoghurt.
- Monday PM – Lasagne or Cottage pie with garlic bread, or Jacket Potato with a choice of fillings (Beans, Cheese, Tuna Mayo), followed by Yoghurt or Ice Cream.
- Tuesday PM – Pizza Night (choice of pizza made on the evening), followed by Apple Crumble, Ice Cream or Yoghurt.
We will send out a food choices list nearer the time of camp, as it will be far easier for us to know what everyone wants to eat in advance. Once you have booked your place on camp, we will provide you with this list for you to chose from and return to us.
If your child has any dietary requirements, please ensure you note them down on the booking form.
Programme of Events!!
Sunday afternoon – Arrival – meet your equine friend and fellow campers, and set up camp. BBQ followed by outdoor activities – rounders, limbo and other fun and games.
Monday – Tack and Turnout Day (Showing) – since this is the start of the week, we thought we would kick off camp by sprucing up our ponies ready for the week ahead. We will then be learning how to ‘ride a show’ and practicing the routine later on in the day. The evening activity will be quiz night! Get swatting up!
Tuesday – Jumping Day – today we will be learning everything we need to know about jumping – from types of jumps, to walking and jumping a Show Jumping Course. If the riders are capable then they will have the opportunity to ride on our Cross Country course, which includes riding through the water complex (have spare clothes at the ready). Tonight we will be having pizza and film night – remember to pack your onsie!
Wednesday – Competition and Prize Day – we will take part in a dressage test and a show jumping competition today, with prizes being awarded for the placings. At approximately 3.30pm there will be a prize giving for all the participants in the camp. Parents are welcome to come and watch both the competition and the prize giving.
PLACES ARE LIMITED AND HORSES ARE ALLOCATED ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVED BASIS.